Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sixteen Candles by The Crests

Formed in the late 50s, the band (The Crests) included Talmoudge Gough, Harold Torres, and Patricia Van Dross and Johnny Maestro as lead vocalist recorded this song "Sixteen Candles". I discovered this song on the radio when a deejay played it for someone who turned 16 that day.

This song was recorded in 1958; I was about 12 or 13 then, but this was the first song I really liked because it wasn't a song introduced to me by my older sister. Before "16 Candles", the songs I listened to were mostly Patti Page, Nat King Cole or Bing Crosby.

Today when I listened to it again, I cried! I cried for my lost youth! And for many things!

Being 12 or 13 was very vulnerable in our days. Unlike today's youth, we were quite timid - we only did things as we were told. We followed rules! Yes, school rules, parents' rules, elders' rules, social rules! Too many rules!

But, deep down, I was a rebel! I told myself that one day, I would overturn everything and make my own rules! Those were our dreams, at least my dreams! We wanted so much to make a difference; we wanted so much to change the world. We wanted our freedom; we wanted our independence!

Hence, in those days, we wouldn't even think of ourselves getting old or getting sick and fragile! Oh no, those would never happen to us! We WERE the young generation! We were full of so much energy! The world belonged to US! And we could do so much good to our generation! We had also thought, with so much stupor, that we would never get old!

Then I heard of the song "The Young Ones" by Cliff Richard (I must be 16 then) and I said to myself, "We would always be the young ones!"

But it happened! Time went by silently and soon it's 50 years after. Now in my senior years, as I look back now, it all seemed like yesterday!

Sizteen Candles by The Creest:
http://youtu.be/_6jn1XtM62k

No comments: