Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jesus Christ Superstar, the Rock Opera By Andrew Lloyd Webber

Jesus Christ Superstar - this rock opera was written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics were written by Tim Rice - it was staged on Broadway in 1971. I never had the chance to see this on stage during the seventies, nor did I see the movie version which was released in 1973. Then this musical had been put on stage several times in the eighties, nineties and even in this century by different cast members, but I still didn't go see it. I don't intend to see this stage production or the movie version for I think the story of Jesus was distorted here because Judas was depicted as a tragic figure. But I do love the song, "I Don't Know How To Love Him" from this musical. It's beautifully written and beautifully sung by many artists, first by Helen Reddy, then by Yvonne Elliman, Sarah Brightman, and many others. I even found a version by Petula Clark!

我沒有看過這套在 1971 年由 Andrew Lloyd Webber 和 Tim Rice 合寫的音樂舞臺劇,也沒有看過這套後來被搬上銀幕的電影,就算現在再翻做、亦不會去看,原因是劇中把出賣耶穌的門徒猶大、描寫成悲劇人物,作為基督徒、我不能認同!不過、我卻很喜歡劇中的一首插曲 "I Don't Know How To Love Him",這首曲由許多歌星唱過如 Helen Reddy, Yvonne Elliman, Sarah Brightman 等,甚至有 Petula Clark 的版本,最好的還是 Sarah Brightman!

1 comment:

阿光 said...

Jesus Christ Superstar
我最愛的曲是 Head Murray 唱的 Superstar

King Herod song, 我也喜愛, 在 Male voice choir 也唱過

其它的 I don’t know how to love him,
Hosanna,
Everything ‘s alright, 也很好聽

沒有看過舞臺演出
DVD 2個版本我都有

所有出的 唱片和cd
包括2個電影版本和
1996新版本(對 Alice Cooper 唱 King Harod失望)
1970年 MCA 出的是我最喜愛聽的版本

人生哲理
Judas 出賣 Jesus,
是否一生出來命運就要他做這個角色
如不出賣
Jesus 是救不到人類
Judas ,在另一角度來看,是否可悲